In this call for applications, we seek to support high-risk, high reward research projects and innovative research ideas that have the potential to advance knowledge in neural development and neurodevelopmental disorders. This grant will provide seed funding for proposals that test new hypotheses, explore new approaches to intractable problems or challenge prevailing paradigms. We are looking for distinctive and novel approaches, including development of techniques or technologies that could enable new discoveries.
Individual or team projects will be funded up to $50,000 CAD per year for up to two years. We expect to fund the top five applications, as determined by an external peer-review process.
- Research questions and hypotheses must pertain to neural development.
- Projects will be curiosity- and discovery-driven, where direct and indirect impacts to neurodevelopment and neurodevelopmental disorders can be envisioned and articulated.
- Any model system or combination of model systems, technologies and tools are permitted.
- Collaboration across disciplines is encouraged.
Applications will be evaluated by external peer reviewers according to:
- Significance and impact of the research to neurodevelopmental disorders
- Quality, novelty and innovation of the proposal
- Scientific and technical feasibility of the proposal
- Suitability of the applicants and research environment to the research question
Applications may be submitted by individual researchers or teams; collaborative proposals are strongly encouraged. The Nominated Principal Applicant and Co-applicants who intend to share funding must be independent researchers at accredited Canadian Universities or Research Institutes with Registered Charitable Organization designation.