The Azrieli International Postdoctoral Fellowship provides unmatched opportunities for the next generation of researchers.
The fellowship offers generous funding and personalized support to outstanding scientists and scholars in any academic discipline. Leading Israeli universities, renowned centers of science, scholarship and innovation, provide Azrieli Fellows with an unparalleled academic experience.
Azrieli Fellows are an elite group of top-tier academics focused on original, internationally recognized research that will have a positive impact on society.
By enabling multidisciplinary study and the cross-pollination of ideas, the Azrieli Fellows aim to break down academic silos, encourage creative thinking and drive solutions to some of the world’s most pressing issues.
Azrieli Fellows hold a unique approach to their research that pushes academic boundaries, out-of-the-box thinking and drives innovation.
- The Azrieli International Postdoctoral Fellowship is open to candidates who have received their PhD degrees no earlier than November 1, 2020, in all countries except Israel. Allowances are made for parental or medical leave or other career interruptions.
- Candidates currently enrolled in a PhD program may apply as long as they complete their dissertation defence successfully no later than June 1, 2024. Official university documentation indicating a dissertation defence date will be required.
- All nationalities are eligible to apply for the Azrieli International Postdoctoral Fellowship, except those who have Israeli citizenship or a resident of Israel.
- The Azrieli International Postdoctoral Fellowship is open to candidates who have secured an academic sponsor and will perform their postdoctoral research at one of the following Israeli institutions: Bar-Ilan University, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Reichman University, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Tel Aviv University, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, University of Haifa and Weizmann Institute of Science.
- Candidates who commenced a postdoctoral or an academic position in Israel prior to September 1, 2023, may not apply. Exception: Those affected by the Russia-Ukraine conflict and have sought refuge in Israel from September 1, 2022, to September 1, 2023, are eligible for the Fellowship.
A maximum of 24 Azrieli International Postdoctoral Fellowships are awarded each year: up to 18 Fellowships in STEM fields, up to three in humanities and up to three in social sciences.
At the time of application, all applicants are required to have an academic sponsor who is a faculty member at one of the following eligible Israeli institutions: Bar-Ilan University, Ben-Gurion University of the Negev, Reichman University, Technion – Israel Institute of Technology, Tel Aviv University, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, University of Haifa, and Weizmann Institute of Science.
Academic sponsors can only sponsor a single candidate throughout the Azrieli Fellows application process. The academic sponsor will confirm the candidate’s suitability, undertake to actively support, collaborate and share relevant expertise with the candidate, and ensure availability of facilities, office space, and funding to carry out the proposed research. In STEM fields, the academic sponsor will finance 25 percent of the stipend, totalling ILS 84,000 for two years.
The Azrieli International Postdoctoral Fellows are selected according to a highly competitive process focused on academic and research excellence without regard to any institutional affiliations, race, religion, gender, ethnicity, or age.
Applications will be evaluated according to academic excellence, proposed research, and leadership and versatility. Ideal candidates will have an excellent academic track record and the potential to perform groundbreaking research, alongside an intellectual curiosity that transcends their field of study. They will possess a character that facilitates teamwork, scientific and societal leadership, with traits such as empathy, humility and integrity, alongside communication capabilities.
The selection process will take place in three stages. At the end of each stage, a shortlist of candidates will advance to the next stage.
Teams of academics from a wide variety of disciplines conduct an initial review of applications.
Academic Review by Committees
Shortlisted applications are reviewed by one of four multidisciplinary committees, composed of internationally renowned scientists and scholars of life sciences, exact sciences, humanities and social sciences.
The interview panel is comprised of representatives of the Azrieli Fellows Program, representatives of the academic committees, and experts on issues of leadership and personal merit.
Maintaining high academic standards
Fellows are expected to maintain a high level of academic excellence at their host university throughout the program. This is evaluated through regular progress reports. Fellows are expected to be based in Israel for at least 75 percent of the Fellowship period.
Participation in program-sponsored enrichment activities
The Fellowship’s program activities and events are aimed at creating a welcoming environment, developing skills, promoting leadership and encouraging interdisciplinary discourse. The program’s activities promote interaction among researchers in a multidisciplinary setting, introductions to world-renowned scientists and scholars and networking with a vibrant community of academics.
Engage with the community
Fellows are encouraged to engage with the local academic and general community in activities of voluntary, non-political/non-partisan nature. These activities might include giving public lectures about their research, mentoring younger researchers, participating in active field days and involvement with the international academic community in Israel.
Acknowledge the Azrieli Foundation
Any publications that result from research activities conducted during the fellowship period must acknowledge the support of the Azrieli Foundation. Fellows may also be asked to submit an abstract of their dissertation and published works to the Azrieli Fellows Program management team for use in publicity material produced by the program and on the Foundation website.
Participate in Alumni activities
Fellows will become part of a growing global community of Azrieli Fellows – past and present – and act as ambassadors for the program. Azrieli Alumni often share their experiences with others, publicize the program to their colleagues and participate in information sessions for new candidates.
By December 1, 2020
Candidates are short-listed for review by the Selection Committee.
Committee meetings and interviews
To receive important information and updates about the Azrieli Fellows Program, please complete the form below.